Hi, I am Makia! I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker who has a passion for working with families and youth. You might also refer to me as a mother, helper, advocate, listener, agent for change, therapist or counselor! My goal is to assist those who have a desire for their children and family to thrive! I provide a safe and supportive environment where each person is treated in a caring and respectful manner while being mindful of each individual’s differences and cultures. I believe that relationships among and between people are so important for change to occur. Therefore, I look at our relationship as a partnership to enhance the well-being for you, your child, and family.
Prior to becoming a therapist, I was a teacher. Through teaching I found that the one-on-one working relationship with each of my students was the most important part of their learning and growth. The realization that I had the opportunity to make a significant difference in children’s lives helped propel me to become a therapist. After leaving the teaching field, I earned a Masters of Social Work from the University of Denver with a concentration in family systems. I have worked with children and families in a variety of settings including Boston Children’s Hospital, Veteran Affairs Hospital & Medical Center, public and private schools, and through community-based organizations. I draw upon my experience/training in Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT), Mindfulness, play therapy and trauma focused interventions to help individuals in need.
I believe, with the right tools, we will continue to have healthy and happy families for tomorrow!
* At this time, I only offer services in English.
- Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW), Massachusetts Board of Registration of Social Workers, License #119455
- Parent Educator, Positive Discipline Association
- Mindful Educator, Mindful Schools
- Currently pursuing certification as a Registered Play Therapist (RPT), Association for Play Therapy (APT)
- Northern Arizona University, Bachelor of Science in Education (B.Sc.Ed), Health Promotion
- University of Denver, Master of Social Work (MSW), Clinical Family Systems concentration
- National Association of Social Work (NASW), Member
- Association for Play Therapy (APT), Member
- National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children, Member
- Positive Discipline Association, Member
Clinical Specialization and Interest
- Play and Art-based Interventions
- Life Transitions (i.e. grief/loss, moving abroad, etc.)
- Trauma/Post-Traumatic Stress
- Parent Education/Support
- School-based preventions